Saturday, May 30, 2015

Memorial Day Adventures

We used to get out and do more activities but since I've been pregnant our adventures have been at a minimal.  I wanted to change that for Memorial Day weekend.

On Saturday after running some errands we went to Mountasia where we did a round of mini golf.  We were pleasantly surprised that I got buy one get one free with my AAA membership card.  Score!  I'm not surprised that Sean beat me by several strokes.

Afterwards we decided to eat some Chinese but since it was a tad bit early for the dinner hour we decided to walk through some model homes for the heck of it.  We do this occasionally for fun but lately I've been disappointed with the new houses.  They aren't even close to a "dream" home for me.  But we did go through on that evening that was pretty close.  Other than the awkward "retreat" that is in the master bedroom, it was as close as you could get to a "dream" home.

Our Chinese meal was sub par, we've been spoiled by our favorite restaurant in Glendale (which to our chagrin shut down so we can't even venture out there anymore) so its going to take a lot for us to like a new place.

I was excited for Monday for the activity that I was most looking forward to.  We hiked Mount Pinos.  About 2 months ago we went to Yosemite and I spent two days doing a lot of hiking and it triggered some muscle and ligament pains so I learned from my mistakes to have a better experience at Mount Pinos.  Namely, I wore a maternity belt to give support to my ever growing belly.

Sean recently went on a camping trip in the area and reported back to me that it was very foresty (one of the things I lament about the mountains here in So Cal is that they aren't foresty enough for me).  He thought I would really enjoy the area.  I had a friend tell me that her favorite place to hike was Mount Pinos so I told Sean I really wanted to go.  We had to buy an Adventure Pass from Big 5 for $5 but that was such a small price to pay (Sean lamented that we should have bought the annual pass instead of the day pass).  We drove up the 5 freeway and in less than an hour we felt lands away.

I was told the hike was 1.5 miles to the top but it did feel more than that.  We arrived a little before lunch so a portion into our hike we found some rocks and sat down to eat our sandwiches and snacks.  There were several groups of hikers on the path but not so many that I felt crowded or that I couldn't enjoy hiking by ourselves in the forest.  We eventually made it to the top and I loved the view.  We could even spot the mosaics of the fields of the San Joaquin valley.  I didn't realize you could see Mount Pinos from that side of the mountain range, we'll have to check that out next time we go to visit my parents.

I was tired by the time we made it back to our car and my feet were hurting like crazy, but I don't regret going.  I think I inspired some people along the way, they saw a 8 month pregnant woman and probably thought, if she can do it, I can do it.  There even was a woman on the trail who looked  more pregnant than I was!
Our lunch rocks

A lot of the trees had branches growing downwards and at very weird angles.  I couldn't come up with a reason why.

My honey on the trail!

Me and baby posing on the top.

The terrain changed near the top to a large meadow area. 

Probably cant see but in the distance you can see the Valley

More views from on top.


I was glad to get out of town and out on another adventure.  As I head into the last of my pregnancy these outings will be inevitably coming to an end so I want to get out as much as I can now.  Thanks to an amazing husband who humors me with my adventures.  He doesn't like hiking but he likes hiking with me and I love him for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment