Saturday, July 20, 2013

Piru

Piru is a very small town just west of us.  There's not a lot there but we took the time to see the "sights."  It apparently is used a lot in filming because it has an old time feel.  It was a lot smaller than I thought but it still had a little charm to it.  There is a local Mexican restaurant that we wanted to visit but its only open for Breakfast and Lunch so we'll have to visit another time.

Our first visit was their community park which included a baseball field and playground.  Nearby was an old train bridge.  I swear it looked like something out of Stand By Me.  






I really like cemeteries so we decided to drive to the other side of town and take a look.  It was Memorial Day and there were a couple of flags out in the cemetery.  There is a family that is buried here that died when the St. Francis Dam broke.

I swear this house was used in an episode of Castle.  It currently is used as a rental facility for family reunions, weddings and business retreats.


Heritage Valley, of which Piru is one town that resides in it, had a train system.  Piru had a cute downtown park at the main train station.  I dont believe it is actually working but I am sure movies love the set.




I love how this service station has its advertisement still visible on the side of the building.


 I think this truck matches the time period of the city.




Like I said, not a lot to see in Piru but it was nice to get out of Valencia and catch a glimpse of the history of the area that we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment