Sunday, March 18, 2012

Friends

Recently I went home to Hanford to visit with some old High School friends.  Even though I have been home several times before, this time was different because one of my friends was coming back for her last time (her parents were moving out of state).  So this was a concerted effort on some of us to gather together to see her one last time in Hanford.  There were 4 of us and for 24 hours I felt like I was back in High School and loved it!  

My three friends that I met up were Lauren Smith, Kristin Davis and Breean Todd.  Of course their names have changed as they've gotten married and started their families, but that is who they will forever be known as to me.  We spent all day Saturday together and it was a blast.  The instant I saw them, and the instant I heard Laurens laugh, I was transported back 10 years!  Wow, 10 years!  That seems forever ago!  Sure, a lot has happened in 10 years, we all went to college, we all got married and all but me started families.  But it really did feel like we picked up right where we left off.  As we were sitting around the room talking, I looked around at my friends and thought that they all looked the same as they did in High School and even had the same mannerisms.  I guess I had this expectation that since it had been a decade we should have evolved and should have looked "older" and acted differently as we've experienced life and interacted with a plethora of people.  Nope, still the same.  

We kept talking about our lives 10 years ago and I even brought some old notes that we wrote to each other.  Boy was that a blast!  We found out that sometimes we had a code name system that, now 10 years later, was hard to break.  We talked about boys.  We loved to write with Jelly pens.  We didn't pay attention in our classes.  We made fun of our teachers a little too much.  Some of us used inappropriate language (kristin!) and we talked about stuff we probably shouldn't have.  It made me think about my high school experience as a whole.  When I came home I perused through some of my old pictures of my friends and decided to share.  There are other friends that made huge impacts on my high school experience, but I chose to stick with the 3 amigos that I got the chance to visit lately.  


singing silly songs, getting up at the crack of dawn, putting tootsie rolls in the showers and saran wrapping the toilet seats.  Wow, girls camp was not nearly as much fun without these girls!

Hello!  Dances were my life!  As we read through our high school notes I noticed how many times we talked about going to the dances and hoping certain boys would go too.
 
We did some awesome trips together.  Going to Oakland to the Temple Pageant.
EFY Baby! 
Choir concerts!  Choir Retreats!  Choir DRAMA!

New York City (seriously how much fun was that!)

Hanging out in the Quad.
"I'ts ok, I'm with the Band!"

Sorry Lauren, I just HAD to post this!


Kristin, I'm so glad you stuck around through all my craziness!  You were such a great friend!

'Nuf said.

This was the last week of school during seminary where we were signing each others yearbooks.  Remember how we would reserve pages?

We've come along way haven't we?  I love you girls!
I really appreciated these girls' friendship during high school.  I might have not showed it enough but I was and am very grateful that I had such good friends.  I'm grateful for technology and how it has enabled me to stay in touch with these friends.  Thanks Lauren, Kristin and Breean!

2 comments:

  1. It was so much fun! It definitely is like we are back in high school when we get together. I'm still down for a trip to your house and lots of playing in LA! Oh and those are some awesome pictures, good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Heike! What are you trying to do to me!? I'm totally tearing up like a baby here! :) Wow. Well, that was an awesome post! I might have to steal some of those pics. They are awesome! You guys were the best friends I could have hoped for. We sure had fun! I seriously think we need to get together more often. Sound good!? :)

    By the way...what are you trying to say about my laugh?! :)

    ReplyDelete