Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Europe-Part Uno

At the end of May we went on an amazing trip. We took a Mediterranean cruise stopping in Spain, France and Italy. I could go on for days about our trip but I think its best to do the highlights.

So our first stop was . . . Spain!

Cities Visited: Barcelona

We absolutely LOVED Barcelona! I never really wanted to go there before but I am so glad that our departure port was this amazing city. Our hotel was in this super old building on the Las Ramblas which is a very famous pedestrian friendly part of town. Our hotel had so much character from the elevator that only fit 3 people to our pink bedspread. It even had a 24 hour buffet.


Some of our favorite sites in Barcelona included the Sagrada Familia. It is an unfinished cathedral started by Gaudi and is slowly being completed. Even though the Moderniste style isnt my cup of tea, I still appreciated this cathedral for its architecture.
















We also really loved the Barrio Gotic which is the old section of town. It was fun to just meander down the streets and come across random churches, locals at a corner cafe or kids playing soccer in the square. It almost felt magical. They even had this cool museum where you took an elevator down below the city where you saw original sections of the city. As an archaeologist I totally loved it.







No comments:

Post a Comment