Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pismo Get Away

Living in Central California, our beach trips consisted of maybe one summer trip and the standard November trip because of us kids playing in the Pismo Band Review.  I have good memories of walking around this small beach town and I've been wanting to go back for a while now.  Sean had never been and he has been begging me to go to Hearst Castle so we decided to do a weekend getaway as part of our anniversary.

We spent a day roaming the small streets of Pismo.  It has a completely different feel than any other beach city in LA or OC.  We talked about how we want to have annual trips up here with our kids because it has such a small town feel to it.  We had breakfast at this cute cafe where they served crepes.  Lunch was, of course, at the Splash Cafe.  Sean got their infamous clam chowder in the bread bowl (which I snacked on) and I had their fish and chips.  We picked up some tasty candies including sour tape, salt water taffy and cinnamon bears.  We took long walks along the beach and even fell asleep near some dunes.  We hiked up steep residential streets to a nearby park which had great views of the area.  It was a bit overcast while we were there but that didn't disappoint us.  Nearby was a Hanford Street so of course I had to get a picture with the sign. 



This was our view from our hotel.





This sign was halfway down the pier.  Don't you think it should have been at the beginning?!




The next day we headed up to Hearst Castle.  I was amazed with the scenery on our way up the coast.  I never remembered it looking so gorgeous.  I've heard the central coast was a must see in California but I never really understood why until I took that drive.  it was BEAUTIFUL!  For me, most of southern California is not very pretty so I had low expectations of the central coast.  Boy was I wrong.  I now understand Hearst when he said the reason why he built his home in San Simeon was because it was the most beautiful place in the world.  I would highly recommend that drive to anyone visiting (or living) in California. 













Our trip was the perfect amount of time.  Sean said his favorite part was visiting Hearst Castle but mine was more simplistic.  I've been wanting a "work" ring so I don't have to worry about damaging my wedding ring at work.  We found the perfect one with small inlaid shell.  Its the perfect memento from a fifth anniversary trip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment