Friday, August 2, 2013

Day Trip to Ventura

I've been wanting to go to Ventura for a while and we decided to bring along Sean's parents for our day trip.  First on our list was to see the Mission.  It was a beautiful mission but a lot smaller than ones I've seen in the past.  As with most Missions it's still a functioning church.  The grounds were small but the flowers were blooming.  There was a small room with some artifacts from the church and the area including some excavated items.  They had some beautiful illuminated music manuscripts on display.  I also enjoyed viewing the Chumash baskets since I am working on native baskets at work.  The church itself was rather nice.  It made me want to study more about the Catholic faith.    











After the mission we headed to a cute little restaurant called 77 Palm.  It was a french restaurant in a converted craftsman home.  The food was DELICIOUS and it was such a fun environment eating on the porch of a Craftsman home.



After lunch we headed to the beach.  We took a stroll on the Ventura Pier which we learned is the longest pier in California.  It was also rebuilt several times because of damage caused by storms including a time when a ship floated right through it slicing it in two.  I couldn't believe how many fishermen there were on the pier and I saw my first seal (or sea otter, couldn't tell it apart from where I was) in the water.  Sean teased me asking if I've ever been to an Aquarium.  I had to rephrase and say it was my first time seeing one in the wild.





We ended the day by stopping at our favorite dessert place in Valencia, Shave It.  It's Hawaiian Shave Ice complete with ice cream.  Mmmmmm!  It's so tasty!



No comments:

Post a Comment